As you may, or may not know, my husband and I are 7 months into a
6 month 12 month construction project to build our own home. Things have not gone exactly as planned and due to some unforeseen problems with the seller, the project has doubled in time and exceeded our original budget. So these days, we are pretty tight with our dollar. With Valentines Day right around the corner we have alleviated the pressure to buy each other gifts since we’re, momentarily “broke” (but rich in spirit! Haha). So, we established the “no gifts” rule and then, suddenly, a piercing sound hit my ears. It was Monica Geller (from Friends) saying “Make the gifts! Make the Gifts!” Now I don’t have a friend like Phoebe to loan me her sweet sock bunny for the occasion so I turned to a trusty DIY. The good ol’ Sharpie Mugs. Did the Friends reference just age me? I feel like it aged me.
Ceramic Mugs (Dollar Store)
Oil Based Sharpie Paint Pens (I have a Painted by Me ceramic paint pen from Joann’s that works well too)
Rubbing Alcohol (for mistakes as I made many!)
Qtips/Cotton Balls (to wipe up my many mistakes)
- Clean the mugs with Rubbing Alcohol
- Draw to your hearts content
- For mistakes simply use a cotton ball or Qtip with Rubbing Alcohol and wipe off paint
- Place the mugs on a cookie sheet in a cold oven. Set the oven temp to 350 degrees
- “Bake” for 30 minutes and turn off oven. Leave the mugs in the oven until the oven is completely cooled.
- Wait 72 hours, yes 72 hours, before using the mugs.
**Hand wash mugs only.
***I did notice that the gold Sharpie still chipped off even after using this method. If you’ve figured out a better method for the metallic sharpies, spill!
Here’s my final product! Obviously I just can’t resist a cute Pun. The bacon one is sure to be a favorite!
Have you tried the Sharpie Coffee Mugs? Did you learn any good secrets? Please dish!